Friday, December 21, 2007

Phul phutuk na phutuk...

Below I reproduce one of my perennially favourite Bangla poems. The opening lines literally translated would read "Whether flowers bloom or not / it's spring today." That gives no indication, however, how powerfully the poem is written. 'Powerfully' is the word. I've woken up thinking of the poem--quite possessed by it in fact--only to find that it has snowed heavily, and that I have actually not brought over the anthology from Calcutta, and that I don't have the poem written anywhere. So I called up a friend, all snowed up in Rochester, who first recited from memory, then called up his poetry-loving father in Calcutta to cross-check, and then sent me the poem electronically.
If the font does not display properly but you're dying to read, then you would have to download Avro Keyboard here, which actually downloads pretty fast, and is easy to use.


ফুল ফুটুক না ফুটুক…

সুভাষ মুখোপাধ্যায়


ফুল ফুটুক না ফুটুক
আজ বসন্ত

শান বাধানো ফুটপাথে
পাথরে পা ডুবিয়ে এক কাঠ-খোট্টা গাছ
কচি কচি পাতায় পাঁজর ফাটিয়ে হাসছে

ফুল ফুটুক না ফুটুক
আজ বসন্ত

আলোর চোখে কালো ঠুলি পরিয়ে
তারপর খুলে-
মৃত্যুর কোলে মানুষকে শুইয়ে দিয়ে
তারপর তুলে-
যে দিনগুলো রাস্তা দিয়ে চলে গেছে
যেন না ফেরে

গায়ে হলুদ দেওয়া বিকেলে
একটা দুটো পয়সা পেলে
যে হরবোলা ছেলেটা
কোকিল ডাকতে ডাকতে যেত
-তাকে ডেকে নিয়ে গেছে দিনগুলো

লাল কালিতে ছাপা হলদে চিঠির মত
আকাশটাকে মাথায় নিয়ে
এ গলির এক কালো কুচ্‌ছিত আইবুড়ো মেয়ে
রেলিং-এ বুক চেপে ধরে
এইসব সাতপাঁচ ভাবছিল-

ঠিক সেই সময়ে
চোখের মাথা দিয়ে
গায়ে উড়ে এসে বসল
আ মরণ! পোড়ারমুখ লক্ষ্মীছাড়া প্রজাপতি!

তারপর দড়াম করে দরজা বন্ধ হওয়ার শব্দ
অন্ধকারে মুখ চাপা দিয়ে
দড়ি পাকান সেই গাছ
তখনও হাসছে

2 comments:

samik sen[solipsist] said...

there are poems that keep haunting us, whether we 'understand' it or not doesnt matter, to understand a poem is the greatest critical blunder one can commit, understanding poetry is a sacrilege.what I dont like about this and some other poems by this poet is the prosaic style[ i know some readers think it to be his greatest power], his insistence on the removal of flowers[ phulgulo sarie nawo, amar lagchhe]. perhaps I am still a romantic adoloscent and will refuse to grow up, wake up to the naive, hidebound materialism of prose, magic, fatalism, belief will remain my favourite dish, and Auden will remain an anathema, only when on my nuptial bed I will have to flaunt my revolutionary heroism to my 'bou', I will lash at the purple dreams, I used to chew listlessly...day in and day out.kothay bhashar sei mantroputo uchharon? rilke, holderlin ba yeats, shobder sei sammohon koi? sei mayabi dhusarota, ja ek alik hemonte achhanno kore rakhto bhutograsto kobi-ke,sachetan o sustho[ mane unmatto noy]manusher sansargoke ami bhoy pai.

preeti samaddar said...

Khoob shundor laglo aamar....
Ae kobita ta