Friday, February 26, 2010

Phantom of the Opera



After several attempts to get tickets to what has become Broadway's longest running show, we finally got there on a very snowy evening in New York. Around 1991 or so --because I think this was just before the Gulf War--when I was searching for recordings of Pepe Jaramillo, in my enthusiasm for the piano, a shopowner in Shyambazar where I grew up, recommended Richard Clayderman. I listened to the tracks from Phantom of the Opera not knowing any more than that it was a musical. I liked the music, liked Clayderman, but still pined for Jaramillo. I haven't found more of Jaramillo than what I grew up listening to. The yearning for more of Pepe on the piano remains for I have always thought he must have been very interesting not only to listen to live, but watch. So on a day when my Facebook status update says that I am in a 'Phantom of the Opera state of mind', I must tag this post with Calcutta... like so many other posts.

No comments: